Wednesday 9 July 2008

A Serbian use of caravans...

One thing I really noticed in Belgrade last year was the number of randomly floating caravans. Like Romanians having no idea why there are so many wedding dress shops in Bucharest (if you ever wander around Lipskana count them - seriously...), my Serbian pals are at a loss to explain why this stalwart of the optimistic British holiday in the rain has a tendency to be parked on wood and set afloat in their capital city...



However they all overwhelmingly agree with my observation that as a nation they are obsessed with drafts. It became a running joke. Whereas us Brits sleep with windows open for the good of fresh air, Serbs close bus windows in sweltering heat and rush for a scarf if a breeze floats through a slightly ajar door! I might print some copies of this to take with me next time I go as it brings both our theories together...


I wonder what Serb inventor hero Nikola Tesla would think of it all? (Hell this is just an excuse to post one of my favourite photos of all time)...

No comments: