Wednesday 16 April 2008

The further you are...

"The further you are, the closer a dream of you caresses my soul, as untouchable as rays of the sun, unassailable as Eden. If you are now not the one I think you are, then let my damaged heart be wrong, for it needs you like the white angels need heaven. Allow my love to burn this strange pleasure that fills a sea with waters of sadness. Allow a belief in the delirium which is a miracle of love, a holiday from truth."

Galaktion Tabidze (1891-1959)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this poem! i think you can translate a poem's meaning but the beauty of it gets lost in translation but here is my english version of the poem

the further you are the more i cherish you!.. i love the dream of you i have in me.. unreachable like the ray of sun untouchable as eden
and if you are not who i think you to be today i am not in sorrow (i dont care) sick heart wants to percieve you as the white angel of my dream

let the heart burn with strange affection, let the sea of miracles be filled with tears as long as i believe in my delirium and the celebration of love

alice maddicott said...

Thank you! I love your translation - it's so hard to get Georgian poetry in translation - my good friend in Tbilisi gave me a book when I was there in May, but it's amazing to hear many versions - they are always quite different, yet with each translation a new little spark of the original poem creeps through. Gosh I wish I could read Georgian...